Chiropractic Help for Crossfit Injuries
By Sara Butler
Crossfit is a pretty popular fitness program. If you’re one of Crossfit’s devotees, then there are a few things you need to be aware of in order to stay healthy. The chiropractors at The Joint see a lot of injuries associated with these exercise routines, injuries you need to know about. Here are the most common and how you can avoid them.
The Most Common Crossfit Injuries
The most commonly treated Crossfit injuries are:
- Lower back injuries – It only takes one wrong move or poor form or heavy weights to cause an injury to the lower back. The best way to avoid this type of injury during exercise is to make sure you’re practicing the best form you can, that you’re keeping your core strong, and that you go see the chiropractor regularly in order to make sure your body is free from joint dysfunction and restriction.
- Knee injuries – Your knees perform a variety of functions and they’re placed under a lot of stress during Crossfit exercises. Heavy weights combined with the need to practice good form to keep the rest of your body healthy can actually be really tough on the knees. Make sure you have even slight injuries looked at by the chiropractor to keep these joints healthy.
- Shoulder injuries – In Crossfit, rotator cuff injuries are common. This can lead to something called entrapment syndrome, a feeling like your shoulder is catching when you try to raise your arm over your head. Don’t try to simply work through a shoulder problem. Make sure to get it checked out by the chiropractor.
- Wrist injuries– From lifting to burpees, Crossfit puts the wrists through the wringer. These joints must remain mobile and flexible in order to keep injury away, so don’t overlook any pain in this part of the body as a result of Crossfit exercises.
- Elbow injuries – A common occurrence in Crossfit is a pain in the elbows when lifting. This can be due to improper form, causing injury. Get elbow pain checked out as soon as you can.
Your best resource in resisting injuries related to Crossfit is your chiropractor! It might be tempting to just grit your teeth and work through the pain, but you’ll only be doing more damage to your body and making any injuries you’ve sustained worse. So, see the chiropractors at The Joint regularly in order to keep your body healthy and working at its best.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Memphis, Tenn.