Stop Morning Stress and Become a Morning Person
By Amy Silva
Not everyone is happy to wake up with the birds and sun but having a morning routine can make all the difference between having a good day and having a bad day. Starting the day off hectic or not well rested is enough to cause some people unnecessary stress and even make them moody for hours. One doesn't have to be a morning person to have mornings go a little smoother. Here are some ideas that could make waking up more tolerable and may even give a few extra minutes to add new ideas to the routine.
Get These Done the Evening Prior
- Shower at night - Replacing morning showers with evening showers can save a lot of time in a morning routine. One might have to play around with hairstyles after skipping the blow dryer, but it can be done.
- Get coffee ready - Adding water to the pot, setting out the mug or travel cup with sugar saves a couple of minutes because it's ready to hit the button right away.
- Get food ready - If you take food to work, have your lunch packed before bed and ready to grab on the way out.
- Choose your outfit before bed - Instead of going through the closet in the morning, know what you're going to wear the night before.
- Quick breakfast - Quick breakfasts don't have to be unhealthy; there are lots of recipe ideas, such as overnight oats, that will be ready when you are and don't take any morning time to prepare.
Try These Upon Waking up
- Stretch or try yoga - Stretching feels great upon waking, but even if you don't have time for an entire yoga routine, consider a few yoga moves or stretching to get your body ready for the day.
- Exercise - A few body weight exercises like squats, push-ups, lunges or trips up and down the stairs while getting ready just might get rid of the cranky feeling.
- Ignore the phone - A lot of people reach for their phone to check social media as soon as their eyes open. Many people don't think they have enough time to get ready but if they take notice of how much time they're spending on the phone every morning, it may surprise them,
- Read a chapter - Having more time in the morning can allow for a quick read of a few pages to relax your mind. You could also enjoy a podcast while you're getting ready.
Following some of these tips a few days per week could help make those mornings better than others. Incorporating all of these ideas could be what it takes to stop having stress be a part of your morning routine.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Mt. Juliet, Tenn.