A Salad for Breakfast? You Bet!
By Donna Stark
Leftover chocolate cake? No. Sugary, colorful cereal out of the box? That's a double no. Cinnamon roll with double the glaze? Don't even think about it! Sorry everyone, but I am not about to permit you to start your mornings like that. Instead, I'm going to suggest something else. Something that may take some getting used to, but with an open mind, could become your new, favorite way to start your day!
Change Your Perspective on Breakfast
Breakfast is your first opportunity to fuel your body so of course, it should be healthy! And one of the easiest ways to provide your body with all the nutrition it needs is with a breakfast salad. That's right. A salad. Here are some simple tips on how to get started.
- Start with vegetables - Just like a house, your breakfast salad needs a strong foundation. Leafy greens mixed with assorted vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, and tomatoes make a great starting point.
- Select a protein - Protein helps to maintain your sense of fullness and reduces your hunger throughout the rest of the morning. Some good sources of protein are eggs, chicken, whole-grains, and cheese.
- Don't forget your carbohydrates - Energy is important and carbohydrates are the perfect source for that! Options that are breakfast friendly and complement any salad include apples, sweet potatoes, and quinoa.
- Remember your fats - Adding healthy fats to your breakfast salad can help your body absorb certain nutrients and vitamins during the day, so let's not forget them! Consider piling on some avocado, nuts, and seeds.
With some simple preparation at the beginning of the week, those breakfast salads you create each morning will be ready in no time and you can begin your days with the following health benefits.
- Improved moods - A well-balanced breakfast salad can help to improve your mood and regulate the highs and lows of your day.
- Improved productivity and cognitive function - The ingredients that make up your breakfast salad can help improve memory, attention, focus, and concentration, which in turn, can help increase productivity while at work.
- Increased weight loss - Breakfast salads are generally low in calories, high in fiber, and rich in water which can help you shed those extra few pounds or maintain the healthy weight you are at.
Try Something New
Substituting your typical croissant or pastry with a healthier alternative like a breakfast salad is an easy way to add more nutrient-dense foods to your diet. So what are you waiting for? Start planning those delicious morning salads and look forward to better health!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in College Station, Tex.