Healthy Breakfasts for a Productive Day
By Donna Stark
Wake up! It's time to make the most of your mornings and the best way to do that is to consume a healthy breakfast. Fueling your body the right way has never been more important than it is now. What used to be eight-hour workdays with an hour lunch for our parent's generation has turned into 12-hour workdays while eating lunch on the go for us. Days like that require some serious nutrition and you certainly aren't going to give your body what it needs by gulping down a coffee as you head out the door. So what does a healthy breakfast look like? Great question! Take a look at the following tips.
Things to Do
There are many ways you can create a healthy breakfast but if you really want to give your body the best, make sure it includes at least one thing from the following groups. Doing so will help ensure you start the day feeling balanced and energized.
- Protein - If you have a few pounds to lose and are looking for ways to power your days, try adding some protein to your breakfast. Protein helps keep you feeling fuller for longer, curbs your appetite, and boosts productivity. Eggs, yogurt, chicken, and cottage cheese are some great sources of protein.
- Whole grains - Oatmeal, whole-wheat toast, and whole-grain muffins are just a few examples of breakfast items that are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Whole grains are perfect for breakfast because they are extremely versatile and will keep you fueled and focused through lunchtime.
- Produce - Adding produce (and nutrition!) to your breakfasts is one of the most delicious and easy things to do! Toss some greens into your morning smoothies, mix some chopped vegetables into your scrambled eggs, or top your yogurts and cereal with some of your favorite fruits.
Things Not to Do
Now that you have created a plan to start your day on a nutritious foot, you definitely don't want to sabotage your efforts. Take a look at some of the things you should avoid doing during breakfast.
- Consuming artificial, processed foods
- Loading up on beverages filled with sugar
- Ignoring sugar content in yogurts, granola bars, and cereals
Making the Perfect Breakfast
Mornings can be crazy, hectic, and overwhelming at times, but no matter how busy they are, there is one thing you should stop doing immediately ... skipping your breakfast. So, try waking up a few minutes earlier than usual and get your day started the right way. Make yourself and your loved ones a healthy breakfast every morning.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Killeen, Tex.