How You Can Stress Less at Work
By Sara Butler
Stress is a normal part of life but excessive stress can be detrimental to your overall health and well-being. When it comes to stress at work, too much of it can impact your performance and productivity – which will eventually be detrimental to your emotional and physical health. When it comes to stress at work, there just has to be a better way! Lucky for you, there is. Here are some ways you can more effectively deal with stress in the workplace and keep it in check for your health.
How Much is Too Much?
So how do you know when stress has gone from healthy to unhealthy in the workplace? While some stress can help you stay focused and energized, the stress of long hours, tight deadlines, and demands can make you feel overwhelmed. When you can no longer cope with the stress sat work, then it will interfere with your ability to work, manage your personal life, and even care for yourself.
The Common Sources of Workplace Stress
Most of the time, workplace stress comes from one or more of these areas:
- Lack of job security
- Overtime work due to cutbacks
- Pressure to perform
- Pressure to work at optimum levels constantly
- Lack of control over your work
The Warning Signs
When you’re feeling stressed at work and overwhelmed, then you may become withdrawn, irritable, or angry. Other signs of stress include:
- Sleeping problems
- Loss of interest
- Trouble with concentration
- Stomach issues
- Loss of sex drive
- Muscle tension
- Use of drugs or alcohol to cope
How to Beat Workplace Stress
You can take control back over stress at work by taking a few of the following steps:
- Get support – Coworkers are a great resource for stress relief and support. After all, they know what you’re going through. Family members and friends are also great people to lean on for support when you’re feeling overwhelmed and wrung out.
- Make new friends – if you don’t think you have someone to turn to at work or home, then go out and make some new friends! Join a club in your spare time and pursue interests outside of work. You’re bound to meet new people!
- Exercise – Eating right and exercising are two ways you can make a huge difference in how you feel. You’ll have more energy and get out some of the bad feelings you’re having at the gym instead of just bottling them all up.
You can beat workplace stress! Stay on top of it and don’t let it become too much.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Lubbock, Tex.