Creating Healthy Habits for Your Family
By Donna Stark
Raising a family isnâ€™t the easiest job in the world. Sure, at the end of the day, there is nothing more gratifying than doing so, but easy? Well, I donâ€™t think that would be the chosen word for most parents on certain days. But our hopes are simple. We hope to raise well-adjusted children that grow into well-adjusted adults, and if you can add in some success with careers and relationships, everything will be great! Well, everything if that includes their health too. So start early, and take charge of your familyâ€™s wellness by developing the lifelong habits that will reap amazing health benefits later in life. Make healthy living a priority right now for the entire family.
Developing Healthy Habits
It is important to create healthy habits with your children early on, and an easy way to do so is to model those habits in front of your children. Children are always watching, always listening, and always learning, so use that to your advantage. You donâ€™t need to sit them down in front of a whiteboard while you extol the virtues of a great diet and a healthy amount of sleep. You just need to show them, to live what you would be preaching. Here are some tips that can help.
- Exercise - Exercise as a family. Take walks after dinner, play an impromptu game of tag, have a family gym night â€¦ just incorporate physical activity into your familyâ€™s everyday life.
- Limit screen time - Excessive screen time can lead to a sedentary lifestyle, isolation, depression, and constant snacking which all increase the risk for serious problems down the road, so manage it wisely.
- Eat and shop together - When children see that nutrition is important to mom or dad, they will make it important to themselves as well, so plan healthy meals and shop for groceries together. Including your children in the process of meal-making will encourage them to eat better and carry those habits into school and to friendsâ€™ homes.
- Get your sleep - Establishing a bedtime routine is a great way to show the importance of a good nightâ€™s rest. Encourage your children to welcome this time of the day by getting ready with them and making it special. You can read a book together or simply talk about the dayâ€™s events.
- Focus on posture - This one may be hard, but if you focus on your own posture while also teaching your children the importance of having good posture, they may be able to pick up on it sooner than if you just simply tell them to sit up straight over and over again.
Creating a Foundation for Great Health
By starting to model these healthy habits early on, you will help your children establish a foundation of great health that will benefit them later on in life. As we established earlier, life isnâ€™t always easy, but if your children have that strong foundation, very little will be able to stop them from finding success with their goals and dreams.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bellevue, Wash.