Here's Why Your Teen Needs Chiropractic Care
By Sara Butler
Teens can be hard to read. When you only see someone a couple of times each day when they emerge from their smelly teen lair to grab some food, it’s certainly tough to gauge what they need.
One thing you can understand about teens is that they’re going through changes -- physically, emotionally, and mentally. They can experience physical pain from rapid growth spurts, injuries from sports, and hours hunched over their newest gaming system.
Teenagers have youth on their side, which means they normally bounce back quickly. But you can help your teen to live a pain-free, healthy life with the help of chiropractic care from The Joint Chiropractic. Here are a few of the reasons why teens need chiropractic in their lives!
Teens Have Back Pain?
You’ve likely watched your teen sleep on the floor a time or two, then wake up the next morning and go about their business as if they didn’t just do something that would take you out for days with back pain.
Contrary to popular belief, teens aren’t invincible. They can suffer from back pain and other body aches just as the rest of us older folks do. The American Chiropractic Association reports that about half of all teens have back pain, with about 10 percent experiencing acute pain that keeps them away from school and afterschool sports.
Chiropractic care for teens can help reduce the discomfort they experience as the chiropractors identify joint dysfunctions and eliminate them, reducing pressure on joints while at the same time helping to improve flexibility, reducing stress, and finding relief from injuries.
What Causes Back Pain in Teens?
There are many reasons a teen can experience back pain, some of which may surprise you.
- Anxiety - It may shock you to learn that anxiety is the leading cause of back pain in teens. If they see the chiropractor regularly to help reduce stress on their joints and spine, then their body can heal more swiftly, and they’ll experience less stress because their bodies work optimally.
- Poor posture - One look at your teen as they hunch over their newest smartphone to make their latest TikTok probably makes your back hurt. Well, rest assured that it makes their back hurt too. Poor posture is one of the leading causes of spinal discomfort in teens.
- Injuries - Teens are usually quite active. Although that’s a good thing, it’s also important to be on the lookout for joint dysfunctions that can arise from everyday activities as well as injuries from sports. Long after an injury heals, it can still wreak havoc on an unsuspecting teen’s body, so having it addressed by the chiropractor as soon as possible is vital to their continued health and wellness.
- Lack of sleep - Teens can keep strange hours, with many not getting enough sleep to support their growing bodies and minds. Lack of sleep can also be a big driver of back pain, causing hormonal imbalances that can make the pain experienced while awake even worse. Chiropractic care for teens helps to correct joint dysfunctions in the spine that can aid your teen in better rest at night.
The Benefits of Chiropractic for Teens
Aside from tackling back pain, there are other benefits for teens when it comes to chiropractic care. Here’s how regular chiropractic visits can help.
- Boost their development - In the teen years, growth and development are at their peak. Chiropractic care can help a teen’s body to develop optimally, increasing wellness.
- Improve posture - All those hours at a desk or in front of a computer can take their toll, which is why chiropractic care for teens is a must to help them improve their posture and strengthen the muscles around the spine.
- Recover from injury - Many teens are active and need help recovering from injuries and accidents. Chiropractic can help teens to prevent injuries by tackling joint dysfunctions before they lead to more significant problems and keep their joints flexible so they can avoid damage.
- Enhance mental health - Teens encounter a lot of stress in their lives. Regular chiropractic care sets the stage for them to better handle stress both physically and mentally, helping to improve their mood. Because when you feel better physically, you feel better mentally, too.
Your teen may not be a master of communication, but getting them the best care to improve their physical and mental health doesn’t require them to be. Chiropractic care for teens is safe and effective. Introducing them to chiropractic care now will instill in them good habits that can last a lifetime.
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this page are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this post is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics, including but not limited to the benefits of chiropractic care, exercise and nutrition. It is not intended to provide or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your chiropractor, physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this page.