How to Create the Perfect At-Home Cardio Workout
By Donna Stark
When you want to fit a cardio workout into your day, you really only have three locations to choose from. You can head to a gym or any other type of indoor training, you can head outdoors for a walk, run, or hike, or you can stay inside and remain in the comfort of your own home. But what kind of cardio workouts can you do at home, other than chasing your kids around? Well, there's a bunch! All you need is a little room to move and the ability to push yourself to the limit.
At-Home Cardio Workouts
Creating a fun and effective cardio workout at home is a lot easier to do than you might think, but that's not all. It can be more convenient, too! With a little planning and a bit of creativity, you can put together an incredible workout that will help build muscle, burn fat and calories, and improve your overall well-being. Just be sure you are working hard enough so that your body starts dripping sweat. Here are some great suggestions to start with.
- Jumping rope - Grab a good pair of shoes, a rope, and start jumping. Jumping rope is a great way to get your blood pumping. Just be sure to turn the rope with your wrists, not your arms.
- Running in place - Running in place is certainly an old standby, but it can definitely be a bit boring. Add some variety by jogging with high knees or with butt kicks.
- Burpees - If you really want a great workout, go ahead and add some burpees to your routine. Burpees are a great way to burn calories quickly while building strong muscles.
- Mountain climbers - No mountain is needed for this exercise! Mountain climbers will increase your heart rate, build strength, and improve your endurance levels. Some people think these are easier than burpees, so there's that, too.
- Stairs - If you have a staircase in the home, take advantage of it! Climbing stairs is a great addition to any cardio workout but you need to take some extra precautions if you choose to include it. Make sure the stairs have a handrail for safety and are clear of any tripping hazards.
Creating the Perfect Cardio Workout
Cardio workouts are one of the most effective ways to exercise, and with the suggestions above, are also one of the easiest to engage in at home. The only thing you really have to focus on for your workout to be a success is to stay safe and work hard!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Mobile, Ala.