Pain in Your Neck Is a Pain in the Neck!
By Donna Stark
There is a reason the phrase "It is such a pain in the neck" has become so popular when describing difficult situations. When it is at its best, neck pain is bothersome, but when it is at its worst, it can be quite debilitating. Neck pain and neck stiffness affect millions of people. For some, it is due to an unfortunate accident or injury, but for most, it's caused by poor posture, stress, and overuse. If you are struggling with pain in your neck, and have ruled out all medical emergencies, your best bet is to see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.
Where Does the Pain Come From?
There are a variety of reasons why neck pain may either develop slowly over time or suddenly show up, other than accidents and injuries. Let's take a look at some of them here.
- Poor posture
- Working at a desk for too long without changing position
- Tech neck (looking down at your phone for too long)
- Poor sleep positions
- Over-straining your neck during exercise
- Nerve compression
Get Rid of That Pain in Your Neck!
Even though the soreness and restricted motion can certainly make your life difficult, there are some things you can do to alleviate the pain and restore normal function to your neck. Here are some suggestions.
- Give it some rest - Rest always seems to help when something hurts, so try taking a day or two off. Don't attempt to do anything too strenuous. Avoid heavy lifting and intense workouts.
- Apply cold or warm compresses - Cold compresses are great at relieving both pain and inflammation, while warm compresses can ease muscle tension and soreness. Apply either one to your neck for up to 20 minutes at a time.
- Stretch it - Taking the time each day to stretch your neck may also help you find relief, although you may want to wait to do any stretching until the worst of your pain has gone away. It also helps if you warm the area up first with a hot shower or heating pad.
- Practice good posture - If your posture is out of whack, you may end up straining the muscles and ligaments in your back and neck, which can always lead to pain. It's important to be mindful of how you hold and carry your body throughout the day, so stop slouching! Sit up straight and stand tall!
Try Chiropractic Care
You've heard that seeing a chiropractor can help with all sorts of aches and pains, but if you aren't sure that includes your neck as well, you can stop wondering right now. Chiropractic care is the perfect, all-natural solution for neck pain. The adjustments your chiropractor provides help to alleviate pain, improve mobility, increase range of motion, and restore both joint and muscle function. So come on in today. With more than 475 locations nationwide, no appointment required, and daily hours, it couldn't be any easier to get rid of that pain in your neck!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Scottsdale, Ariz.