A New Year Deserves New Lunch Ideas
By Donna Stark
My favorite exercise over the holiday break was a mix between a lunge and a crunch. I called it lunch, and unfortunately, I indulged in this type of "exercise" a little too much over my vacation. Now, it wouldn't have been too bad if those lunches were more on the healthy side, but you know how it is when guests are in town, or when you are the guest, and there are new restaurants to try and favorite coffee shops to hang out in. But now it's back to reality, which means I need to get back to the healthy lunches I used to pack for myself, and there is no better way to begin a new year than with some fresh ideas on what to eat.
New Lunch Ideas for the New Year
The start of a new year is a great time to break away from your old lunch habits and add a little spice to your days. So toss aside that trusted peanut butter and jelly sandwich and take a look at the following suggestions.
- Stuffed bagels - Slice your bagel down the middle, remove some of the extra breading inside to form a "moat," and stuff with your favorite deli meats and toppings. Don't forget a side of raw vegetables too in place of your standard bag of chips.
- Southwest chicken wraps - Use your leftover shredded chicken and rice from last night's taco meal and fill your favorite tortillas. Add a side of guacamole and salsa for a fresh take on those extra leftovers.
- Caviar - OK, OK, it's not real caviar, but many people do call it "cowboy caviar." Toss a can of rinsed and drained black beans with a can of corn, add some diced tomatoes and avocados to the mix, and sprinkle some finely chopped cilantro and lime juice on top for a hefty serving of cowboy caviar! Eat it with baked tortilla chips and a side of fruit for a deliciously healthy and filling lunch!
- Greek yogurt chicken salad - Make your chicken salad healthier and increase your protein intake by using Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise. Add some crunch and extra nutrition to your daily diet by tossing in some sliced grapes and celery too!
- Charcuterie board - You love these when you go out to eat, so why not make your own mini-version for the office? With some of your favorite deli meats, cheeses, raw vegetables, fruit, pita or bagel chips, and favorite sauces, your lunch will be the envy of the break room!
Lunch Isn't Exercise
Stop that lunchtime boredom before it even has a chance to start. Begin the new year with a variety of new lunch ideas and keep those taste buds of yours interested for months to come!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Scottsdale, Ariz.