Cleaning Your Home for a Great Workout!
By Donna Stark
When summer rolls around, many of us can expect to have family come into town for a visit and usually, there are plenty of activities to look forward to, except for one thing. The cleaning. You know the house needs to be cleaned before, during, and after those summertime guests arrive and you also know that it's not going to be on the top of the list of fun things to look forward to. Yes, cleaning can really be a drag, but if you plan it right, it could actually turn into something very beneficial for you ... like a great workout! So in addition to an uncluttered, sweet-smelling house, your days of cleaning can also help to get you, and those who help, in shape!
Cleaning is a Great Workout!
Cleaning for your guests doesn't have to be a chore, instead it can be a new approach to working out or a different way to add some extra physical activity into your day. If you want to give yourself and those who help a challenge, take a look at the following suggestions.
- Tighten your core - Forget those crunches for the day, just keep your core muscles tight while you work. Doing so can help build, strengthen, and tone them which can lead to increased support for your back and improved posture.
- Go big - When cleaning mirrors, shower doors, or even your car, make every movement as large as possible. This will help engage more of those muscles in your arms, shoulders, and back.
- Add extras - When picking things up off the floor, vacuuming, or carrying laundry from the dryer to the closets, throw in some extra lunges or squats. Moments like these are a great way to add in actual elements of your fitness routine.
- Switch sides - Don't become lopsided in strength! Switch your arms and legs periodically when mopping, wiping, or vacuuming so that your body's muscles are getting equal workouts.
- Use your legs - Adding squats is actually a great way to remind yourself to use the correct technique when lifting. So in addition to getting a great leg workout in while lifting loads of laundry or bags of mulch, you will also be protecting the health of your back.
- Listen to music - Throw on some tunes that you know will add some spring to your step and get your heart pumping! And hey, if nobody is looking, throw in some of your favorite dance moves too while you are at it!
Cleaning your house from top to bottom is a lot of work and may even end up giving you a better workout than what you manage to complete in the gym! So get started and enjoy your customized workout, your clean home, and those loved ones when they come into town!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Culver City, Calif.