Chiropractic Help for Morning Joint Stiffness
By Sara Butler
At The Joint Chiropractic, one of the biggest complaints the chiropractors hear from patients is about morning stiffness. Also known as first movement pain, morning stiffness occurs in the first hour you are awake. As the day goes by, the stiffness and discomfort may ease up but return in the evening. If this sounds like a familiar pattern to you, there are some things the chiropractor can do to help. Here's what you need to know about morning stiffness.
The cause of morning stiffness can vary from person to person, but in general, it's caused by inflammation in the joints -- also known as arthritis. It may seem like the logical choice when experiencing pain or stiffness is to rest, but that's not what the chiropractor recommends at all. That's because of the lack of movement as you slept was what caused fluid to build up in the joints and inflammation to flare, causing the joints to stiffen in the first place. This can also happen when you don't move for long periods of time, such as when you're at work. Of course, arthritis isn't the only cause of stiffness and pain, which is why a visit to The Joint Chiropractic is a good idea if you're experiencing morning stiffness.
Symptoms of Arthritis
How do you know if arthritis is causing your issues with painful morning stiffness? The most common symptoms of arthritis include:
- Joints that crunch or pop when moved
- Increased pain with certain movements
- Loss of flexibility
- Tingling or pressure in the surrounding area
- Achy joints
- Inability to do tasks that involve the movement of the joints
What You Can Do
Aside from seeing the chiropractor at The Joint, there are a few things you can do to help reduce the discomfort and stiffness you experience in the morning. These include:
- Give yourself plenty of time - Don't wake up at the last minute and rush around. Instead, give your body time to wake up and do some gentle stretches before you even get out of bed. A warm shower can help relieve stiffness too.
- Eat well - Eat a balanced diet that delivers the nutrients your body needs to stay strong and free from inflammation
- Move around - It's lack of motion that can cause stiffness, so do some gentle stretches and movements that help to warm up your joints
Don't let joint stiffness keep you from enjoying life to the fullest. Come into The Joint today for a consultation!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in San Jose, Calif.