Clean Start to a New Year
By Donna Stark
Well, we have one more super sweet holiday coming up in February that includes lots of sugary treats and delicious food, but for the most part, our major holiday season is over. Hopefully, you took the time to cherish the past couple of months with your family and friends, and that you were able to curb those yearly cravings with some yummy food that comes straight from the heart. Even though many of us look forward to the feeding frenzy during the holiday festivities, it always seems to bite us in the end once January 1 rolls around, doesn't it? And if you are like so many others, by now you are probably ready to get back into your healthy routine. So what are you waiting for? It's easier to do so than you think!
Getting Back on Track
The new year always brings new health fads, and honestly, I'm not sure which ones work or not. But what I do know that works for everyone that tries, is a clean lifestyle. Start cleaning yours up today with some of these simple suggestions. Take a look.
- Hydrate - Drink water. And then drink some more! Your body needs it and you will feel better once you start drinking the daily recommended amount. If you don't like water, change it up by infusing fruit in it.
- Eat a healthy breakfast - By starting your day with a healthy breakfast, you will be more likely to continue making healthy food choices throughout the day and less likely to fall into those sweet-tooth temptations that often hit mid-morning. A healthy breakfast is also a great way to get a big chunk of your daily nutritional requirements taken care of before the day even starts.
- Clean up and throw out - Still holding onto those leftover holiday sweets? There's no reason to hold onto them any longer ... if you can't donate or give them away, then do yourself a favor and throw them out! This is a great step to starting the new year on the right foot!
- Replace the bad with good - Since you just tossed out all the leftover junk and sweets, it's time to find their replacements. Head to your local grocery store and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, whole grains, and heart-healthy fats. Keep them prepped and ready to eat throughout the week!
- Stay active - It's OK if you took a break from your daily exercise routine over the holidays, but now, it's time to get back to the nitty-gritty. If you have a fitness routine that works for you, then by all means, stick with it! Otherwise, just make sure that you are getting at least 30 minutes a day of physical activity.
Here's to a Healthy New Year
Get a healthy start to your new year by focusing on a cleaner lifestyle with some simple changes and new habits. Don't wait for that sweet holiday in February to come around before you take your health seriously. The sooner you start, the more your body will love you for it.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Temecula, Calif.