Exercises for a Stronger Back
By Sara Butler
The chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic are big fans of chiropractic care as preventative care to help you stay healthy, but they're also fans of exercise. Between your visits to the chiropractor, there are a few things you can do to help strengthen your back and help you get the most out of your chiropractic care to boot. Here are some exercises you can do between visits to help your back become stronger.
What's the Big Deal?
Your core and your back are what hold your entire body upright and in proper alignment. If one or both isn't as strong as they should be, then your whole body suffers in the process. Maintaining a strong back helps your nervous system, cardiovascular system, muscles, and bones to function as they should. But don't worry, you don't have to become a world-class athlete to reap the benefits of exercising for a strong back, you simply need to be consistent.
A Few Good Exercises
To keep your back strong and flexible, try these exercises:
- Walking - That's right, walking can help strengthen your muscles as long as you do it in the correct posture. Try walking with your shoulders back and your abdominal muscles engaged three to seven days per week.
- Planks - This full body exercise really hits those muscles in your abs and back. Get in a plank position and hold it as long as you can and repeat it every day.
- Bridge stretch - This is a low impact exercise that's great for your abs and your glutes. You can also do it as slowly as you need in order to make sure you're doing it right.
- Lunges - This exercise is great for your lower back and it has the added benefit of stretching your muscles too.
- Reverse shoulder shrugs - Strengthen the muscles in your upper back and neck while you release tension at the same time. This exercise is so easy, you can do it right at your desk.
Talk to the Chiropractor
These are just a few of the many exercises that chiropractors typically suggest for their patients. If you want to discuss what exercises would be best for you and your health, then talk to your chiropractor about it during your next visit to The Joint. They can suggest some specific exercises to target your back and help to make it stronger.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Aurora, Colo.