Chiropractic Care for the Athlete and the Spectator
By Donna Stark
It doesn't matter if you are passionate about playing sports or passionate about watching them, you should always prioritize the health of your spine with either. Did you know that a healthy spine is a vital component of your optimal well-being and mobility? Well, you do now, and fortunately, it isn't hard to achieve one. By incorporating the following suggestions from your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic, you can improve your spine's health and start looking forward to the upcoming season of competition!
Engaging in sports is a great way to stay active and healthy, but if you aren't mindful of the pressure being placed on your spine, you may end up sitting on the sidelines. Here are some tips on how to protect your spine before, during, and after the game.
- Warm up - A proper warm-up should consist of some stretching exercises and light movements, such as a walk or quick jog. This will help increase blood circulation, ease tension, and improve flexibility, as well as enhance your athletic performance.
- Use correct form - Even if you are a seasoned athlete, you may still have days when your form isn't at its best. If this happens, try to correct it as quickly as you can. It also helps to be properly fueled with good nutrition and adequately rested with great sleep.
- Get adjusted - Routine chiropractic adjustments can help ensure your spine is in proper alignment, relieve muscle strain, and remove any joint dysfunction. Chiropractic adjustments can also improve your performance by increasing flexibility and range of motion.
Whether you are sitting in the stands or relaxing on your couch, if you are tuned into a game you may be looking at several hours of immobility, and that can put a lot of pressure on your lower back. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to alleviate that extra stress. Take a look.
- Correct your posture - It's easy to fall out of good posture when you are sitting on uncomfortable bleachers and cozy couches, so make sure you are aware of how you are enjoying the game. Sit up straight, avoid slouching, and keep your head and spine in neutral positions.
- Take breaks - Your favorite team doesn't skip their breaks and neither should you! Make sure you are getting up to stretch and move frequently throughout the game.
- Get adjusted - In addition to helping the athletes in the game, routine chiropractic care can also help the spectators! Regular chiropractic adjustments encourage proper posture, relax muscles, and reduce joint stiffness.
A Healthy Sports Season
Visiting your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic can help you maintain a healthy spine, whether you are playing the sport or simply enjoying it from the stands. So, come on in today and get on the path to a healthy spring sports season!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Jacksonville, Fla.