Standing Against Pain
By Donna Stark
We've all talked about how sitting is the new smoking, but if you have a job that requires you to stand all day, you are probably wondering why standing isn't being called the new sitting yet. Am I right? And that's because by the end of the day, you are in just as much pain from standing as those who sit all day are. And sure, the pain may be in different areas of your body, but it's still there, and it can have serious consequences for your future health.
Standing Against Pain
Whether you are a teacher, a hairstylist, a cashier, or a road crew worker, standing for long periods of time throughout the day can be detrimental to your health. Take a look at some of the complications that can arise from excessive standing.
- Muscle, back, leg, and foot pain
- Spinal injuries
- Muscle and nerve damage
- Varicose veins
- Neck and shoulder stiffness
- Insufficient blood flow
Knowing what you need to do to reduce the risk of complications from standing too much is important. Here are some suggestions on things you can do in the workplace that will help you avoid future health issues.
- Change positions - Relieve the pressure on your feet and legs by changing your position or shifting your weight frequently. Take plenty of breaks to rest, sit down to eat your lunch, or incorporate some walking into your daily work routine.
- Invest in footwear - Invest in a good pair of shoes that provide plenty of support and cushion. If you are unsure of what type of shoe to buy, look for brands that cater to professionals who are on their feet all day. A quick search on the internet can help with this.
- Stand on a mat - You have heard about ergonomic desks, but have you also heard about ergonomic mats? These mats help to protect your feet from the hard floor and can relieve both the pain and stress you may be experiencing in your legs and feet.
- Lose weight - Losing those few extra pounds you are carrying around can help too! Take a look at your diet and fitness routine and see if there are any areas that can be improved. Even the smallest change in weight can make a huge difference!
Your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic are eager for you to start experiencing pain-free days and hope the suggestions above help, but don't forget, you can always come in to see them too. It's time to stand up to your pain!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Weston, Fla.