Want Energy? Get it Naturally!
By Donna Stark
I think if I had to, I could set my clock to the patterns of behavior that are exhibited by my coworkers. Of course, the process usually starts off slowly, but within minutes of each other, they are all behaving the same way. The yawns, the stretching of arms high above their heads, and then finally, the counting of change for the coffee vending machine. It happens every day and always at the same time too.
What about you? Do you find yourself feeling fatigued and sluggish in the afternoons? Does staying focused and awake in the afternoons take more energy than it should?
Get Energized Naturally
So many people struggle with staying attentive during the midday slump and often resort to caffeinated beverages or energy drinks to get them through the last part of the day. But those aren't always the healthiest of choices, are they? So here are some suggestions on how to boost your energy, naturally.
- Daily exercise - Elevating your heart rate on a daily basis is a great way to increase your energy and fortunately, it doesn't take hours in a gym to do so. All you need is 30 minutes a day!
- Stay hydrated - One of the first signs of dehydration is feeling lethargic, so make sure you are drinking the recommended amount of water every day. Keep a bottle by your side throughout the day so you can track how much you are actually consuming.
- Eat the right kinds of food - Try to avoid refined sugars and too many carbohydrates because they may be affecting your energy levels. Instead, opt for meals that are filled with lean proteins, nuts, fruit, and vegetables.
- Establish a set sleeping schedule - Make sure you are getting adequate sleep! We all know how important sleep is to the actual health of our body, but it's also important with fighting that midday slump. Another thing to consider is to be consistent with your wake-up time, even on the weekends.
- Get some sun - Head outdoors for a few minutes and get some sun for a natural energy boost and mood lifter. And if you can afford the time, take a short walk! It's a perfect way to knock out your daily exercise goal of 30 minutes.
- Choose a healthy snack - Skip the vending machine candy bars and choose an apple instead. High in Vitamin C, fiber, and complex carbohydrates, they are a healthier way to achieve that boost of energy you are searching for.
Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed
It's time to set your clock to something other than your normal midday fatigue. Boost your energy naturally and avoid the quick fixes that so many people have become dependent upon. With some simple adjustments to your day, it's easy to get through that midday slump like a pro.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Acworth, Ga.