Don't Forget Your Cardio!
By Donna Stark
Even though strength training surpasses your cardio workout when it comes to fat loss and improving overall health, that doesn't mean you should hop off that treadmill yet! Cardio workouts will always play an important role in your overall fitness routine. They strengthen the function of your heart and lungs, they make them more efficient, and they fuel your muscles with energy, so get them off the back burner and improve your overall health and wellness by doing so!
Loving Your Cardio Workouts
There is a misconception about cardio workouts. Many people feel they are boring or not as beneficial as lifting weights, but that simply isn't true, because in addition to improving your overall health, cardio workouts can also be a lot of fun! Take a look at how you can improve them.
- Get off the treadmill - Although it's an excellent way to work on your cardio, exercising on the treadmill isn't your only option. You can also choose to swim, ride a bike, or join a fitness class.
- Find a workout partner - Having a friend work out with you is a great way to add some extra motivation to your routine. Many people find that by having a partner push and encourage them, their workouts become more fun and effective.
- Work out at the right time - If you are tired, rushed, or unfocused, you won't get much out of your cardio workout, will you? It's important to choose a time that fits into your schedule.
- Invest in a good pair of shoes - Nothing works to your benefit if it is broken or if it is the wrong piece of equipment, and that couldn't be truer for the pair of shoes you wear to your cardio workouts. Make sure your shoes fit you well, offer plenty of support, and provide the right amount of traction.
- Change your scenery - There is nothing like a change in scenery to make things feel new and fresh, so head outdoors for your workout. The fresh air and beautiful surroundings can be great motivators for you.
- Add some other elements - Running or walking on a treadmill can get pretty monotonous, so why don't you break up your cardio workout when it gets boring and add some other fitness elements into the mix? I'm thinking some squats or lunges can do the trick!
Better Workouts, Better Results
Remember, it's always easier to stay motivated and to improve your performance when you are actually enjoying yourself, so try to incorporate some of the tips above into your fitness routine. It's time to pull those cardio workouts off the back burner and place them front and center, right where they belong.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Acworth, Ga.