Deliberate Steps to Take to Lose Weight
By Sandy Schroeder
Right now you may be wondering how you can shed 10 to 15 pounds. I know I am thinking about it. I have been sitting too much, and giving in too often to my favorite chocolate bars and fast food burgers and fries, and it is time to lose weight before it becomes a bigger problem.
If you can relate, you may want to consider Harvard Health's advice to "set small, specific and realistic goals."
The Harvard doctors suggest you take a look at your weight and then make a realistic goal. Don't try to vault back to your high school or college weights, but do consider losing 5-10 percent of your present weight.
Then give yourself flexibility and time to make it happen. Six months is a good starting goal for accomplishing weight losses.
Now get specific about what you need to do with daily or weekly goals. Here are some proven suggestions.
- I will walk 2-3 times with a workout buddy
- I will pick some dinner recipes and shop for fresh fruits and vegetables for the whole week
- I will limit fast food and other favorite takeouts to once or twice a week
- I will keep favorite healthy foods on hand for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- I will ditch the cookies, chips, pastries and ice cream and restock with sugar-free juices, low fat Greek yogurt, nuts and nut butters and fresh whole fruits and veggies
- I will keep building healthy recipes from the favorite foods that my family likes
Begin Doing Mindful Breakfasts
Start every morning with a healthy breakfast. If you have to, get up 15 minutes earlier to make it worthwhile do so. Old-fashioned oats with fruit, omelets filled with veggies, or Greek yogurt laced with fruits, sugar-free juices, and tea or coffee will get your day going and keep it going until lunch. Eat slowly with sips of water and plan healthy snacks, lunch and dinner.
Try to spend 20 minutes or more on each meal as you dine with others, talk, relax and enjoy your food. Meals will be memorable and set up habits that you will want to repeat.
Do weekly and monthly checks to see how much weight you are losing and what healthy eating habits work best. Keep track of your family's eating habits too as you develop health shopping lists, favorite recipes, and favorite meals.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sugar Land, Tex.