Let Nature and Food Break New Ground in the New Year
By Sandy Schroeder
In a world that insists on flipping itself upside down every other day, you may welcome some new coping strategies in 2021. Many of us reverted to food and nature to survive in 2020, and now those same classics might help us move forward into the New Year.
Food Steps Up
Cooking has always been a refuge for me when I needed to relax, which explains why I cooked so much in 2020. New pastas, soups, casseroles, and salads were dreamed up in my kitchen, along with fish, beef and dip creations. My family was amazed and pleased, and I felt more relaxed.
In 2021 I have decided to channel food with a healthy focus for my family and me, as I enlist everyone's help and opinions and try out a whole new list of recipes. Epicurious and Bon Appetite are sure to be close at hand. If that sounds good to you, start working on your own good food efforts.
- Take a poll of food favorites in your family
- List the most healthy foods that your family eats
- Round up some new recipes that incorporate healthy foods that your family likes
- Enlist some help in the kitchen
- Sit down to supper every evening with your family, minus all electronics
Take Nature Out for a Spin
If you spent a lot more time outdoors this past year, you may want to expand those efforts even more. Think about what outdoor activities were the most fun for you and your family and concentrate on them.
- Were weekend biking outings a favorite?
- Did you try backyard camping with cooking over an open fire and sleeping under the stars?
- Were outdoor jumping jacks, marching in place or sprints part of your exercises?
- What new activities do you plan to add this year?
If food and nature sound like two naturals for you, your family and friends, this may be the time to browse recipes, review exercise gear, and work out details like these.
- Review your health and that of your family
- Spotlight issues like weight, junk food and comfort food menus
- Do a target list for each family member of healthy goals
- Consider virtual visits with your family doctor to update everybody
- Develop a new activity and exercise list to try
Create a dream list of where you want to be come New Years Eve 2021. Fill in the plans and get going!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Atlanta, Ga.