Outdoor Fitness for Spring
By Donna Stark
I think it's safe to say that winter is officially in our rearview mirror by now and I am pretty sure a lot of people are happy to leave it behind. It sure has been a brutal one, hasn't it? But those long, cold, and blustery days have moved on and now we can start enjoying warmer weather and sunnier days. There is nothing like those first few weeks of spring and it seems so fitting that Earth Day is celebrated once winter is over because the beautiful weather has a way of bringing everybody outside. So come on! Let's head into the great outdoors and celebrate what our beautiful planet has to offer.
Outdoor Fitness For Springtime
What better way to celebrate Earth Day this April than to head outdoors for your daily fitness routine? Studies have shown that we can all benefit both physically and mentally from exercising outside, so grab your sneakers and workout gear and get moving! Here are some suggestions.
- Sports league - You don't need to hold any mad skills to benefit from playing sports, just a willingness to have fun and stay active. So grab your friends and join an adult league for some healthy competition and physical activity. Anything that gets you outside and moving will work!
- Swimming - Swimming is one of the best all-over body workouts, so as the weather gets warmer, try to incorporate it into your daily fitness routine. The water may be a tad chilly in some places, but you will definitely warm up once you get your body in gear.
- Work - Although they aren't the first thing to come to mind when people picture themselves exercising outdoors, lawn care and gardening are classic springtime workouts. Think about it. All of that weed pulling, wheelbarrowing, lifting, hauling, and mowing certainly keeps your body moving and definitely counts as exercise!
- Cycling - The feeling of freedom, the cool breeze on your face, and the warm sun on your back are a couple of reasons why so many people enjoy cycling. It's also the perfect exercise to enjoy with your loved ones. So grab your helmets and hit the road!
- Hiking - Hiking is a natural way to reduce your stress and a great cardiovascular workout at the same time. It's also another form of exercise that is perfect to bring your family along. Everyone will have so much fun exploring and taking in nature that you won't even realize you are working out.
Enjoy Nature, Enjoy Your Workouts
Take advantage of what nature has to offer and head outdoors for your springtime fitness routine. It's often said that the best exercise occurs when you are having fun, so go ahead and have a good time! You may even be able to make some wonderful memories while you are doing so, and you can't often say that about working out in a gym!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Eagan, Minn.