Spring's Top Five Super Foods
There are so many things to love about Spring, the warmer weather, and more delicious produce being in season. Here are five super foods that are now in season. Forget about your regular produce selections, and add these yummy fruit and vegetables to your diet before they are out of season.
- Cherries: These tart little treats pack a powerful health punch with very little calories. Cherries have been known to speed up exercise recovery, help you better sleep, and are even good for the heart. Eat them as a snack when you want something with a bite to it. Just remember that you won’t reap the health benefits by putting a cherry on top of your ice cream.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are made up of 96% water, which is great for helping the body stay hydrated during the summer months. Cucumbers are also full of vitamins A, C, and K. Add them to a salad or just eat them sliced up for a snack.
- Okra: Okra may not be a common staple in your diet, but they are full of beneficial fiber, as well as vitamins A, B6, C, K, calcium and magnesium. Try adding them to soups or slicing them and baking them with a little bit of olive oil.
- Papaya: Tis the season for the papaya to be the freshest and tastiest. Papayas are full of vitamins. One medium papaya contains 70% of one’s daily dose of vitamin A. Papayas are also great for boosting one’s immunity and for glowing skin.
- Plums: Plums are great for the heart, as well as for the brain. It is rich in vitamins A, C, and K. It makes the perfect snack to grab on the go.
Start your summer off right with these five superfoods. Since they are at the peak of their season, they will taste great and offer more nutritional value.