How Toxins in Our Diet Can Affect Our Health
By Alexis Mills
Being mindful about what it is you are putting into your body is crucial to reach your healthiest self. What most people think, including myself, is that eating healthy foods doesn't bring toxins into your body, but is fueling your body with nutrients. But even foods that are perceived as healthy bring toxins into your body. It's obvious that alcohol, cigarettes and processed foods are full of preservatives and unhealthy fats. Something that isn't talked about as much is the toxins that are in milk, fruits, vegetables, meats and fish. Milk can develop hormonal agents, fruits and vegetables can have pesticides, meats can be loaded with bacteria, and fish can have mercury, which is dangerous for humans to consume.
Effects of Toxins
The toxins in food can make us feel sluggish, give us headaches, stomach issues and release radicals into the body. The radicals are the worst because they work on breaking down the cell walls and are a threat to developing different cancers, cardiovascular disease, strokes and other health issues.
After learning this, people will go to extremes of altering their diet completely and going paleo, vegan, or vegetarian. If one of those diets works for you, then that's great, but there are other ways to get rid of these toxins and detoxify your body.
How To Get Rid of Toxins
- Support your gut - Gut health has been an emergent health trend that shows your gut is a natural detoxification system. To support it, eat more probiotics, fiber-filled foods and other gut-supporting foods.
- Drink plenty of clean, filtered water - It's important to make sure your water if filtered, or else it could be putting other toxins into your body. Add lemon, or other fruits and vegetables to get more support to your immune system.
- Sweat out your toxins - Whether through exercise or using a sauna or steam room, sweating will give your body the opportunity to get rid of toxins from the body.
- Thoroughly wash all vegetables and fruit - If there is any dirt, bacteria or pesticides on the outside of your fruit, doing a thorough wash will ensure you are eliminating toxins you would have consumed.
- Stay away from sugar and processed foods - Do you best to eliminate foods you know are filled with toxins when you can. It's OK to treat yourself, but don't make it a habit.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Pickerington, Ohio.