Pregnancy Relief With Chiropractic Care
By Donna Stark
Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful and rewarding experiences a woman can go through, but as the months go by, that beauty can turn into significant pain and discomfort. It's a known fact that pregnancy can be extremely uncomfortable at times; we all know the pain is temporary, but that doesn't mean it has to be endured. In the grand scheme of things, nine months really isn't that long, but when you are deep in its throes, nine months is an awfully long time to be uncomfortable. Fortunately, the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic can help treat and alleviate this type of pain so that the new mom is ready to go when the little bundle of joy arrives!
In addition to your tastes for food changing during pregnancy, so does your body ... obviously. But some of the changes your body goes through aren't so obvious. Take a look.
- Ligaments - In addition to the extra weight and the swollen ankles, your ligaments start changing as well. They become loose, which is good for your baby (all the more room for growth), but not so good for your body. These loose ligaments cause your pelvis and spine to become less supported, which can lead to improper alignment and muscle spasms.
- Pelvis - When the pelvis is not in proper alignment, it can restrict (or shrink) the amount of space available for your baby. And while that space is shrinking, your baby is not! It can also complicate the process your baby goes through to get in the best position for delivery.
- Center of gravity - As your weight increases and your baby grows, your center of gravity shifts forward. This can bring additional stress, tension, and strain to your lower back, hips, knees, and ankles.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective approach to treating pain and improving a person's overall health and wellness. It is particularly beneficial during pregnancy for the following reasons.
- Avoids the use of prescription medications and invasive procedures
- Improves the function of the immune system
- Alleviates symptoms of nausea
- Provides relief from back, neck, and joint pain
- Decreases the intensity and frequency of headaches
- Places the spine and pelvis in proper alignment
- Improves posture
- Encourages a faster and easier delivery
Surviving the Nine Months
Chiropractic care at The Joint Chiropractic is a must during those nine months of pregnancy, but don't forget to come in after delivery too! It's a great way to maintain optimal health and to reduce all of those aches and pains that come from holding your brand new baby! And it couldn't be any easier to fit into your schedule. With more than 475 locations nationwide, daily hours, and no appointment or referral required, there shouldn't be any problem finding a time to sneak out for some tender, loving care!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Columbia, S.C.