Chiropractic Tip: Stand Up for Your Health Now
By Sandy Schroeder
Many people are adding 30 minutes of activity to their day to improve their health, but health experts say there are other things that may add to the effort.
Keep Moving Throughout the Day
Researchers recommend expanding exercise efforts with all of the other routine movements that we do every day.
Mayo Clinic's Dr. James Levine calls these daily routine movements, "non-exercise activity thermogenesis," or NEAT. Simply put, these are all of the ordinary activities that you do not think of as exercise, such as these.
- Toting the laundry upstairs
- Dancing around the house with your kids
- Standing while you cook or clean
- Raking leaves or trimming bushes
The NEAT studies said moving rather than sitting for 2.5 hours a day can burn up to 350 calories.
As you expand routine activities you may want to find out how chiropractic can help too.
The Chiropractic Advantage
Stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you to see how their wellness center can help you expand your health and fitness efforts.
When you come in, your chiropractor will start with your current activity level, overall activities and health history.You will learn how a healthy spine may be just what you need to boost your activity levels.
The spine houses the central nervous system that controls the brain-to-body communication network that keeps us moving. The more efficient that system is, the more apt we will be moving more.
A gentle targeted spinal adjustment may ease aches and pains as it create an energized sense of well-being with better sleep and more awareness.
Weekly 15-minute spinal adjustments may take this to the next level, helping you add new activities for your whole family.
- Ramp up weekends - Get everybody out of the house for biking, hiking or camping
- Try new classes - Sample dancing, ballet, yoga or tai chi
- Pick up a few games - Check your community for soccer, volleyball or basketball action
- Revamp the family room - Add exercise mats, a treadmill, small weights and resistance bands
- Walk whenever you can - Walk before work or at the end of the day with your kids
- Skip driving - Walk or bike wherever possible to run errands, go to the library or get ice cream
How It Pays Off
Whenever you and your family are tempted to flop out on the couch, find something active to do instead. Staying active may become a healthy habit that pays off with less weight and improved health.
When you are ready to get started, stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you. Affordable personal healthcare plans eliminate the hassle of insurance. Evening and weekend hours make visits convenient and walk-in visits are welcome.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Lexington, S.C.