Get Your Fresh Start by Decluttering!
By Donna Stark
It's OK if your holiday season was decadent, indulgent, and loud, but now it's time to settle into a calmer, quieter, and more serene part of the year so you can do what the new year is known for ... change. This is the time of year when we slow down to reflect on what we can improve on in our lives. It's a time for fresh starts and new beginnings. And there is no better way to start fresh than to tackle all that clutter you have in your home.
Decluttering Your Home
It can be difficult to let go of the things you have collected over the years, especially if those things are tied to special memories, but research has shown that if you do, you could end up improving your overall health and wellness! How? Take a look at the following benefits that decluttering can bring into your life.
- Enhances focus and concentration
- Increases relaxation
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves sleep
- Stabilizes moods
- Promotes a healthier home
How to Start the Process of Decluttering
How you declutter is really up to you, but since it's easy to become overwhelmed at the thought of going through everything you own, your best bet is to start with a small area. For example, don't look at the entire room, just start with the closet or some dresser drawers. Here are some other tips that will make this process a breeze to do.
- Pull everything out - Clearing out drawers or closets? Pull everything out so you can start with a clear space. Decide only to keep what you absolutely love or need and donate or trash the rest.
- Stop useless saving - Saving things for an "emergency" that likely isn't going to happen is the beginning of a cluttered home. It's much better for your overall well-being to consolidate what you own and get rid of the things you don't use anymore.
- Reevaluate your intentions - If you have things sitting in your garage that only get used once a year and that you really didn't want in the first place, try to get rid of them. Put them up for sale and get some of your money back.
- Declutter every day - Don't worry if you don't have hours and hours each day to set aside for this process. Break up the task into smaller bits and work on them when time permits.
Change Your Routine
After you have decluttered your home, think about changing your daily routine so you can stay on top of anything new coming in. By taking simple steps toward managing a clean home and repeating those steps every day, you can improve your overall well-being and quality of life.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Franklin, Tenn.