How an Acupressure Mat Can Help your Wellness
By Alexis Mills
For people who are looking for an at home relaxation techniques or interested in acupuncture, an acupressure mat will be a great aid for you! It is an inexpensive way to achieve traditional acupressure therapy from home.
What is an Acupressure Mat?
An acupressure mat is a cotton mat with plastic points meant to stimulate the skin to aid in pain relief and circulation. The mat does not actually puncture the skin, but as the name straightforwardly states, it puts pressure on the body. The mat could be used on any part of the body including the back, legs, feet, head and so on, though it's most traditionally used on the back.
You can use the mats to target specific body parts and issues, but it also has many general health benefits for regular usage such as:
- Helping with stress and anxiety
- Stimulating blood circulation
- Energizing the body
- Increasing endorphin production
- Aiding in insomnia and help for restful sleep
- Relieving aches and muscle tension
- Improving body oxygen levels
- Reducing appearance of cellulite
How To Use For First Time
It's definitely recommended to wear a shirt or lay down a fabric to be able to get used to the pressure points. After regular usage you can work up to putting the mat directly on your skin for optimal results; it's the easiest way to start using your acupressure mat on your back to get used to the feeling. See below for a step-by-step guide on how to get started.
- Set timer for 20 minutes; you can start with 10-15 minutes and work up to 20 minutes
- Lay down the mat on a flat surface
- Position your back evenly on the mat
- Shift body to find comfortable position
- Bend your knees to target lower back
- Let your body adjust for the first few minutes; it will probably be uncomfortable
- Once timer goes off, slowly get up from the mat
To receive optimal results, use your mat on a regular basis. I would start using it a few times a week in 20-minute intervals. Personally, I've used my mat while sitting at my desk, watching TV, or before bed while I am already sitting to optimize my wellness when I wouldn't be otherwise. Once you get used to using the mat, you can figure out more targeted ways that the mat can help you other than for your back. With regular use, you will be able to see the benefits this simple acupressure mat brings to your overall wellness.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Westlake, Tex.