What is Oil Pulling and Why Should You Start Doing It
By Alexis Mills
This might be a foreign term to you, but the ancient practice of oil pulling has many healthy benefits. Oil pulling is putting coconut or other healthy oils into your mouth and swishing it around your mouth for 5-20 minutes. It's important to not swallow any of the oil because it's full of toxins from soaking in your mouth. When you are done, spit it in the trash and swish mouthwash or water to get any residue out of your mouth. Its ancient remedies have become a recent trend because of its way of bringing better health.
- Detoxifies the body - Our mouths are filled with bacteria and toxins, which is why we brush our teeth, floss, and use mouthwash. Even after that we still have leftover bacteria, which is what causes damage to our teeth and causes damage to our body. Oil pulling pulls the toxins from our mouth and literally spits them out of your body.
- Freshens breath - Oil pulling gets rid of bacteria which, in turn, gives you fresh breath.
- Whitens teeth - This is a way to get healthy pearly whites without putting harmful chemicals on your teeth that can create sensitivity. You'll be surprised that coconut oil might actually do a better job than white strips.
- Helps the body manage hormones - Since oil pulling removes toxins, it has the effect of the body doing a between-job of balancing hormones.
- Help prevent headaches and migraines - Headaches and migraines can be created from toxin overload in the body. When you are cleansing the body with oil pulling, it lowers your risk from future headaches.
- Removes plaque - Doing oil pulling also removes plaque from your mouth and reduces your chance of cavities.
- Improves skin conditions - Surprisingly, getting bacteria out of the mouth can actually help skin conditions and clear acne.
- Heals bleeding gums - Oil pulling reduces inflammation and is able to help in reversing gingivitis.
Oil Pulling Tips
- Do it first thing in the morning before drinking or eating anything
- Use about 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil for 10-20 minutes
- When first starting, your jaw will get tired; do the best you can until your muscles gain strength to do it for longer
- Repeat 3-4 times a week for best results
- Do not swallow or spit it in the sink (because it's oil); spit it in the trash
- Swish with salt water afterward to efficiently clean your mouth
- Brush and floss normally afterward
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Casa Grande, Ariz.