Relax Your Way to Better Health
Stress is referred to as a silent killer for a reason—it’s been linked to high blood pressure, cancer, heart disease, accidents and suicide. Chronic stress doesn’t just affect your physical health either; it can inhibit your ability to remember things and can lead to depression. Need more of a reason to take a relaxation break? Here are just a few of the benefits you’re missing out on.
- Relaxation can help to lower your risk of catching a cold. According to Sheldon Cohen, Ph.D. at the Carnegie Mellon University, chronic stress more than doubles your risk of catching a cold. While the reason isn’t crystal clear, the culprit is believed to be the increased inflammation that comes from chronic stress.
- Relaxation lowers your risk of stroke. A 2007 study found that people who coped with stress effectively had a significantly lower risk of stroke (up to 24 percent) than those who didn’t manage as well. A 2011 study found that work-related stress was the cause of 10 percent of strokes.
- Relaxation enables you to make wiser choices. This makes sense if you think about it. When you’re stressed you find it harder to think clearly, which explains why ex-smokers or recovering alcoholics have cravings when they’re under a great deal of pressure. Staying relaxed keeps your brain from throwing caution to the wind.
- Relaxation can actually help you to lose weight. Not only does stress make it harder to make good dietary choices, it can actually increase your body’s cortisol levels. Cortisol (frequently referred to as the “stress hormone”) increases appetite, exaggerates cravings and makes it harder to lose stubborn belly fat.
- Relaxation can improve your complexion. Stress amps up the oil production in your skin, which leads to clogged pores and acne. If you have psoriasis, it’s even more important to learn how to chill, as psoriasis plaques are very sensitive to stress and tension. Try to give yourself a little downtime and your complexion will thank you.
- Relaxation can improve your interpersonal relationships. No matter how much your family loves you, it’s hard to feel close to someone who’s constantly on the edge. Learn how to relieve the stress in your life and you’ll be rewarded with a happier and more fulfilling home life than you’ve ever experienced before.
If you’re having trouble learning how to let go of daily stress, a visit to the chiropractor’s office may be just what you need to feel like your old self again. The hands-on care of chiropractic healing soothes away the struggles and worries of the day while helping your body find the balance that it’s been searching for. If it’s been a while since you’ve visited your chiropractor it’s time to make the appointment that will have you feeling relaxed and care free once again.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all your health related advice.