Head Outdoors for a Fall Workout!
By Donna Stark
The weather has finally shifted! The time has come to say our final goodbyes to those hot, hazy, and humid days that kept us poolside or locked indoors with the air conditioning on, and hello to cooler temps and colorful days. There are so many activities that draw people outdoors during this time of year, but let’s not limit ourselves to just corn mazes and football games. Because in addition to those, it’s also the perfect time to move everyone’s fitness routine beyond the four walls of the local gym. It’s perfect because no matter what their age, fitness level, or athletic ability is, each family member can get an incredible workout when they head outdoors instead of heading into those brick walls.
Boost Your Workouts
Although gyms are great when it comes to all of the different exercise options they offer, they can definitely get a bit stale after a while. Here are some reasons why heading outdoors will not only refresh your fitness routine but will also boost your workouts.
- Longer workouts - Studies have shown that people typically exercise longer and enjoy it more when they are outside than when they are indoors
- More challenges - When you are outdoors you have more challenging features to face such as changes in terrain or weather
- Reduced stress - Exercising outdoors helps to reduce the levels of stress hormones in the body while at the same time, improving your mood and energy
- Budget-friendly - Exercising outdoors is accessible for everyone, offers plenty of options, and best of all, is free
Refresh Your Routine
So now that you have some reasons why you should head outdoors, here are some great suggestions on what exercises you can do with your loved ones.
- Hiking - Enjoy nature’s breathtaking beauty during this time of year by working in your cardio on the local trails
- Trail running - In addition to improving your cardio, balance, and coordination, you will also be able to take in the gorgeous views nature has to offer
- Sports - Grab the neighbors and start a pick-up game of everyone’s favorite sport for a great workout and some healthy competition
- Biking - Getting your loved ones on their bikes is a great way to get a full-body workout while also enjoying the perfect weather
- Walking - Enjoy the golden sun, those cooler evenings, and the community you live in by taking a walk after dinner every night
Perfect Weather, Perfect Workout
The changes that come with the new season don’t have to stay limited to the trees and temperature because it’s a perfect time, with the perfect weather to change your workouts as well! So grab your loved ones, pull out your sweatshirts, and head outdoors for some healthy, fall fun! You better hurry though because winter is right around the corner.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Chino Hills, Calif.