Exercise Is Fun With the Family
By Donna Stark
I don't know about you, but there are times when it seems like I have to choose between spending time with my family and getting my daily workout in. It's a choice that I feel really guilty about making because on one hand, I could be letting my loved ones down, and on the other hand, I could be letting myself down. I'm sure that I am not the only one that feels this way because I can see so many others being torn into those two directions as well. So what can we do?
Family and Workouts
If you are struggling with finding the time to work out while having enough time to spend with your loved ones, you have come to the right place! Creating family exercise nights may be the solution you have been looking for and fortunately, it's easier than you think! Take a look at some suggestions below.
- Walk, run, jog - Lace up your shoes and head outdoors for a family walk, run, or jog. If you have little ones, let them ride their bikes beside you.
- Follow the leader - The leader of the group will choose different types of movements that everyone must follow! From skipping to hopping to hardcore squats and lunges, it's sure to be a great workout!
- Play a game - Everyone loves a good game filled with friendly competition, so grab the bats, balls, and nets and head to your backyard. You will end up having so much fun, it won't even feel like you are exercising!
- Head to the park - Your kids won't consider it a workout if it happens at a park! Make sure you bring plenty of water to drink though because you will definitely need it after chasing your children up and down all of the ladders and slides.
- Design an obstacle course - Jumping, diving, crawling, throwing ... the options are endless when you design and create your very own obstacle course! Bring a stopwatch for even more excitement!
- Play "I Spy" - Go for a nature walk where each person has to spot a specific bird, tree, or animal. Or add some competition by breaking off into teams and turning it into a scavenger hunt.
- Play tag - Need I say more? Everyone loves a good game of freeze tag!
Improved Health for Everyone
Sometimes it may seem too difficult to get everybody on board when it comes to exercise, but if you add elements of fun and play to those workouts, it won't be as hard as you think! Just remember, the family that plays together, stays healthy together!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Culver City, Calif.