Safety Tips for Evening Exercise
By Sara Butler
Many people work out in the evenings or at night, way after the sun goes down. With a busy life and other responsibilities, sometimes you just have to get a workout in where you can. But there are some extra precautions you should take when working out at night – especially when you’re exercising outside. Here are some of our best tips to help keep you safe.
When you work out after the sun goes down, you need to make sure to plan ahead. You should:
- Carry your phone – Always carry your phone with you so you can call if you need help.
- Plan a route – Pull up a map and plan where you’re going to be. Then, let someone know when you leave and when you should be back and tell them where you will be exercising.
- Carry ID – Bring some sort of identification with you and make sure to carry any kind of emergency medical information on a card you can tuck away somewhere on your person.
- Don’t carry money – You don’t want to carry money or jewelry on you while working out since those can make you a target for robbery.
- Wear the right clothes – It’s important at night to be visible, so make sure your workout wear has reflectors on them and throw in some bright colors to help be seen.
When You’re Out and About
The next time you plan to go out and exercise after dark, remember these tips:
- Grab a pal – If you can, then convince a friend to go out with you. There is safety in numbers, but if a friend is not available, then your dog will work, too.
- Keep alert – Don’t get lost in your own thoughts and always make sure to be aware of your surroundings. Look over your shoulder every once in a while, too.
- Don’t wear headphones – It might be difficult to work out without tunes, but you have to be able to hear vehicles or other people approach in order to stay safe.
- Change your route – Don’t stick to the same route all the time. Keep it interesting and less predictable by changing it from time to time.
Good for you that you're working so hard on your commitment to your health and wellness! Just remember to stay safe out there and always make your safety the first priority!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Downey, Calif.