Grapefruit Really Are a Super Fruit!
By Donna Stark
It seems to me that grapefruit is one of those things that most people feel one way or the other about. They either love the sweet, tart taste, or they don't find the taste particularly pleasing at all. But if everyone knew how much nutrition can be found in grapefruit, it's possible that more people would include them in their diet. In fact, grapefruit is packed with so many essential vitamins and minerals, it might even be worth dealing with that tart taste just for all of the benefits you will receive!
The Super Fruit
What's great about grapefruit is that it can significantly impact the health of your entire body. The many benefits that grapefruit provides are nearly unmatched by any other fruit, which is pretty incredible knowing that so many people choose to walk past them at the grocery store. Let's take a look at all of the benefits you will get by simply adding them to your daily diet.
- Immunity - Grapefruit are packed with Vitamins A and C, which are known to help strengthen your immune system
- Weight loss and appetite control - Eating grapefruit throughout the day may help with weight loss because the fiber and water content found in them helps to keep you feeling full
- Heart health - Regular consumption of grapefruit may help reduce the risk of high blood pressure and cholesterol
- Illness and disease - The antioxidants found in grapefruit may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and health issues, such as heart disease, cancer, kidney stones, and eye-related disorders
- Bone health - Surprisingly, grapefruit is also a good source of calcium, which can improve bone health and reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Quality sleep - Grapefruit contains tryptophan, so eating one before bedtime or drinking a glass of grapefruit juice may help you get the restful night of sleep
Adding Grapefruit to Your Diet
Boost the level of nutrition you get each day by adding more grapefruit to your diet! From breakfast, to snacks, to dinner, and then dessert, it's easy to do! Here are some suggestions.
- Cut in half and sprinkle some sugar on top for breakfast
- Make freshly squeezed juice
- Add it to your fruit salad
- Top your salad greens with grapefruit slices and avocado
- Use it as a base for cocktails or non-alcoholic sparklers
- Complement your fish dishes
- Use in desserts like cupcakes, tarts, and sorbets
So Many Benefits
Go ahead and grab some grapefruit at the store this week! Their sweet, rosy pink goodness and the benefits they provide should never be overlooked or forgotten!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in La Verne, Calif.