Why You Wake Up with Back Pain
By Sara Butler
It's an all-too-common occurrence: you get up out of bed in the morning only to roll over and feel a stiff neck or a twinge in your back. Sometimes even headaches join the party. For some people, back or neck pain greets them every morning when they get out of bed. If this sounds familiar, then the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic want you to know that waking up to pain isn't normal and you don't have to live that way. Here's why you may experience pain upon waking and how the chiropractors at The Joint can help.
The Causes of Morning Back Pain
There are many different things that can cause back pain upon waking in the morning. These include:
- Inflammation - If you suffer from chronic inflammation due to changes associated with age or an autoimmune condition, then they can cause morning back pain
- Poor posture - Believe it or not, there is a proper way to sleep to support a healthy spine. If you're not supporting your spine's curves as you sleep, then you can experience pain upon waking.
A chiropractor can help you figure out the underlying cause of your back pain.
What You Can Do
To help you deal with morning back pain, consider doing a few of these things when you're awake:
- Get moving - Staying active is one of the best things you can do to help reduce back pain all the time, including in the morning. Strengthening the muscles that help to support the spine through exercise can help keep the pain away, as can maintaining healthy body weight.
- Eat right - Provide your body and your spine with all it needs to stay healthy by eating a varied diet full of healthy vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein.
- Rest - Ironically, a full night's rest can help you fight back pain. If you're having trouble sleeping, make sure you have a comfortable mattress that helps support your spine as well as a pillow that keeps your spine in natural alignment.
If you're worried about your morning back or neck pain, then come into The Joint today. The chiropractors at The Joint can fully assess your lifestyle and health to help you figure out why you're having back pain in the morning when you wake up and treat it so you can greet each morning feeling your best.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in San Jose, Calif.