Give Your Kitchen a Thorough Cleaning This Spring
By Donna Stark
You dusted, vacuumed, wiped, and washed. You cleared things out and donated what you don't use anymore. You even went to your local hardware store and bought new air purifiers and filters. If there is any house on the block that has been spring cleaned to the max, it is yours! But did you forget something? Think long and hard because this may be one of the most important things to do. Give up? Here's a hint ... it's usually the epicenter of the home. Here are some helpful suggestions on how to make the most of what you have in the kitchen and how to ensure it is the healthiest spot in the house. Take a look.
Organize the pantry, refrigerator, and freezer by expiration or best-by dates. Pull everything out, bring the oldest items to the front, and let the newer items hang out in the back. Don't forget to take the time to edit and wipe down what you are storing too. Do you have some items that you know you won't use by their expiration date? Donate them to a good cause. Do you have sticky jelly or maple syrup jars? Clean them up. This is also a great time to review your spice collection because there's a good chance some of those items need to be tossed away and refreshed. Last of all, as soon as you are finished going through each item and before you put anything away, give each shelf a good cleaning!
While cleaning the counters, cupboards, and floor, don't forget to check the following items that are often overlooked too.
- Sink and sponges - Treat yourself to some new sponges, toss the sponge holder into the dishwasher, and clean out your garbage disposal
- Appliances - Wipe down the sides of your small appliances, empty the crumb tray in your toaster, and clean your coffee machine as indicated in the instructions
- Knife blocks - Check for dust and clean off any food splatters that collected on the sides
- Floor - While you are cleaning the floor, remember to pull out the refrigerator and stove to tackle those areas too
- Garbage can - Take your garbage can outdoors and scrub it clean with hot water, soap, and disinfectant
The Heart of the Home
Being the heart of most homes, the kitchen is a magnet for dust, grime, and bacteria. Kick off your spring cleaning by focusing on this area and turn it into one of the healthiest spots to hang out in!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in West Sacramento, Calif.