Skinny Doesn't Mean Healthy
By Donna Stark
I know a few people who are engaged in the most sedentary lifestyles I know, yet are still able to maintain their ideal weight. These are friends who never work out, who eat what they want when they want, and who can still wear the same clothes that they wore in college. I was curious about how they were able to manage this unbelievable feat, so I asked them some well-thought-out questions and am ready to share my findings with you. Are you interested? Keep reading!
Burning Those Calories
It all starts with calories, doesn't it? From the moment we add them into our body to the moment we can burn them off, that magic number is always what we look to. So I asked those friends of mine to give me a run-down on how many calories each of their activities burns off so that I could formulate a new health plan for myself. Here's what they gave me.
- Rubbing a sore neck burns 123 calories
- Climbing into bed with a sore back burns 267 calories
- Crying over a sleepless night burns 86 calories
- Walking to the kitchen to grab an ice pack burns 336 calories
- Reaching into the medicine cabinet for some painkillers burns 45 calories
- Creating excuses to avoid establishing a healthy lifestyle burns 439 calories
Obviously, none of that's true -- I made all of the above up, but it's important to remember that skinny doesn't equal healthy and that living in pain is no way to live at all.
Reducing Pain With Chiropractic Care
If you, a friend, or a loved one seems to be burning calories by crying, laying in bed, or taking medications to reduce the pain and discomfort, it's time to head on in to The Joint Chiropractic! Chiropractic care can help those who are suffering in pain get back on the path to optimal health and fitness. Here's how.
- Alleviates pain by targeting the source of the issue and addressing the symptoms that come with it
- Removes joint restrictions and nerve interference
- Improves the function of the nervous, immune, digestive, and respiratory systems
- Restores joint and muscle function
- Reduces inflammation, tension, and stress
- Increases range of motion and mobility
- Reduces the frequency and intensity of headache pain
- Encourages quality sleep
- Avoids the use of prescription drugs and invasive procedures
The Path to Optimal Health
Although the size of your clothes can often be the first indicator of how healthy you are, it doesn't fully capture the entire truth. There are so many factors that go into maintaining a healthy lifestyle and being sedentary isn't one of them! So if pain is keeping you on the couch or in your bed, it's time to make a change. Head on in to see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic, lose the pain, and start burning those calories in an entirely new way!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.