Strawberries, the Superfood for Everyone
By Donna Kostiew
There’s nothing more gorgeous than a bowl of freshly-washed, bright red strawberries. I remember growing up amongst all of the Amish farms in my small town and picking our strawberries every week when they were in season. It was always in the fields where we would end up eating more than what we would put in the baskets, but there was nothing sweeter than popping those warm berries into our mouth on a hot summer day. Now, I just go to the grocery store, but those memories of picking that sweet fruit remain as vivid as if I was a young girl in the field again.
Perks of Eating More Strawberries
Besides being sweet and delicious, strawberries are also packed with nutrients and are great for your health. Here are 10 reasons why you should aim to eat more strawberries every day.
- Rich in antioxidants and packed with nutrients: Vitamin C, folate, fiber, potassium
- Lowers the risk of diabetes and helps to prevent cancer
- Strengthens the cardiac muscles and leads to better functioning of the heart
- Lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Contains less sugar than oranges, bananas, grapes, and apples
- Can boost your immunity … they have more Vitamin C than an orange
- Good source of folic acid, which helps to prevent birth defects
- Promotes weight loss by helping to stimulate metabolism and reduce appetite
- Contains powerful anti-inflammatory agents to ease the pain and inflammation from arthritis
- Promotes good eye health
Perhaps the most important takeaway here is that strawberries, by themselves and in all of the different ways we enjoy them, are simply delicious.
Strawberries … Your Weekly Snack
Need some inspiration on how to add them to your meals? Here are some suggestions.
- Add them to your salads
- Top your oatmeal and cereal with them
- Include them in your morning smoothies
- Create some fabulous desserts … pies, homemade ice cream, shortcakes
- Impress your mom or grandmother and make homemade jam
- Bake them into oven-dried fruit bites
- Cover them with chocolate
- Eat them straight from the basket with a dollop of cream
So the next time you are looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth, grab some juicy strawberries and enjoy all of the benefits they have in store for you! And if you are ever near an Amish farm in the summer and see a sign saying to stop on in and pick your own strawberries, I strongly encourage you to do so.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, seeyour local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Lakewood, Colo.