Creating an Active Life
By Donna Stark
You admit it. You're not a fitness freak nor do you want to become one. You are happy with your 30 minutes of moderate exercise every day and you really don't feel the need to change it too much. But even though you avoid the gym and strenuous workouts like the plague, it doesn't mean you aren't open to the idea of adding more movement to your days. The trick is figuring out how to do so -- and fortunately for you, your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic have a few ideas.
Getting Creative With Physical Activity
Even if you are consistent with exercise, it certainly doesn't hurt to add more movement to your days. Take a look at some of the easiest ways to incorporate additional physical activity into your daily routine.
- Walking - Adding more steps to your day can provide tons of health benefits, so park a little further from your door, visit your coworker's office instead of sending an email, reclaim the family dog-walking duties, or do less online shopping and walk to the stores instead.
- Nighttime stretches - Before you hit the sack, help your body recover from the long day it just had by giving it a good stretch. Nighttime stretches can loosen your tight muscles, relax your body, and help it get the rest it deserves.
- Choose stairs - Whenever you have the opportunity, skip the elevators or escalator and take the stairs instead. It's a great way to get a mini-workout in.
- Invest in a standing desk - Sitting at a desk all day has been linked to significant health issues, least of all, tight muscles, so many experts recommend alternating between sitting and standing at work. Standing desks help to increase physical activity and can keep your muscles more balanced.
- Clean your home - Scrubbing the bathrooms, dusting the furniture, vacuuming the carpets ... you may not look forward to cleaning your home, but you can definitely look forward to a great workout if you do! Cleaning your house is a great way to work up a sweat without increasing your actual "workout" time.
- Be productive during phone calls - If you spend a lot of your time during the day on the phone, use it to your advantage! Take a walk, do some lunges and squats, or stand up and stretch. Just think about all of the extra reps you can add to your workouts by utilizing that precious phone time better.
Creating an Active Life
Whether you are looking to maintain what you've got or are hoping to elevate your level of fitness, it is easy to see that there are many ways you can incorporate physical activity into your life. In fact, the options are endless, so start today and get moving!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Tampa, Fla.