Don't Crash in the Afternoon, Get Energized!
By Donna Stark
Getting through the day is hard enough with all of the distractions and interruptions that come your way, but it’s even harder if you are like me and you get hit with that late afternoon crash. Actually, maybe I should call it the crash-and-burn because it seems to be nearly impossible to recover from. When I get hit, it usually hits me hard … one minute I am OK, and the next minute I am nodding off mid-sentence. I think we’ve all had experience with this at some point or another and let’s be honest ... it’s the worst, isn’t it?
Avoiding the Crash with the Right Food
In addition to getting great rest and drinking plenty of water, your food choices have a huge impact on your motivation and energy levels throughout the day. Eating a nutrient-dense diet rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber will help you fuel your body so that you can be as productive and creative as you need to be to accomplish your goals. Here are some examples of what you should include in your diet every day.
- Brown rice - Brown rice acts as fuel for the body and aids in the normal functioning of the brain
- Bananas - Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, bananas will help you power through the day with more energy and less stress
- Nuts - Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and cashews are the perfect snack to grab when you need a productivity boost because they help to fight fatigue and can improve your focus
- Potatoes - Eaten plain, potatoes are a great choice for lunch because they provide sustained energy
- Berries - Packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, berries are another perfect snack because they keep your brain sharp and give you sustained energy throughout the day
- Oats - Oats are one of the best options for slow-burning carbs and they are also packed with vitamins, magnesium, potassium, and fiber which help to maintain a healthy nervous system
- Dark leafy greens - Rich in vitamins and folate, dark leafy greens help to keep your brain from getting foggy and unfocused
- Edamame - This quick snack is packed with protein and provides your body with tons of energy
- Apples – High in fiber, apples take longer to digest and will provide prolonged periods of energy throughout your day
- Salmon - Salmon contains protein, Vitamin B6, niacin, and riboflavin, all of which help convert the food you eat into energy
The Right Food = More Energy
So if you feel like you can’t stop hitting that brick wall in the afternoon or if the majority of your time is focused on keeping your eyes open more than finishing your work, start adding these energy-packed foods into your daily diet. Say goodbye to the crash-and-burn feeling and open your arms to a better diet and more energized afternoons.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Acworth, Ga.