Don't Lose Sleep While on Vacation!
By Donna Stark
I often hear people say that they need a vacation from their vacation, and I generally assume they say that because they are simply too exhausted to deal with regular life after a jam-packed, adventurous trip. But when I ask them about their vacation, the truth comes out. They actually aren't tired from all of the fun they had, rather, they are exhausted from all of the sleep they lost! If you came home from your summer trip feeling this way and have another vacation to look forward to over fall break, take a look at the following suggestions on how to sleep better and get more rest while away from home.
Start off Rested
Maybe you have a super early flight or perhaps you haven't even started packing yet ... whatever the reason, it's causing you to lose sleep the night before your trip and starting a vacation with a deficit in sleep is never a great idea. Sleep debt can affect your entire vacation, so do yourself a favor and plan ahead! Here are some tips on how to have a stress-free night before you leave.
- Pack well in advance
- Confirm your reservations and print your boarding passes if needed
- Arrange for your ride to the airport or fill your tank with gas ahead of time
- Be sure to get at least eight hours of sleep
Overcome Jet Lag
If your vacation takes you across time zones, you may end up with an internal clock that doesn't match the days or nights of your destination. If the time difference is significant, this can disrupt your quality of sleep for days. Here are some tips on how to overcome jet lag.
- Before your trip, gradually adjust your sleeping schedule to match the time of your destination
- Plan to arrive in the morning
- Remember to pack a sleep mask and earplugs for the plane
- Try not to sleep until the local nighttime
Stick to Your Routine
It's bad enough that you don't have your comfy pillow and special blanket that you love to fall asleep with, so don't make it worse by falling out of your normal routine. Do you typically have a cup of chamomile tea at home before bed? Then have some on vacation! Do you enjoy reading a book at the end of the day? Bring one with you! Here are some other suggestions you may want to consider too!
- Pack your normal routine items (music, books, yoga mat)
- Lower the blinds in your new room
- Set the temperature to where you like it at home
- Bring your pillow from home
One Vacation Is Enough
By taking some simple steps to preserve your sleep, you can enjoy the vacation ahead of you without needing a second vacation to recover from it. So go ahead and plan away! This may be the best vacation yet!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Acworth, Ga.