Warning Signs That Your Body is Lacking Water
By Alexis Mills
Water is the most important thing that your body needs to keep working properly. Without water, our bodies would quickly start to dwindle and daily life would get a lot more difficult. Most people don't know the signs that their body is trying to provide when it needs water.
- Headaches- If you are feeling either lightheaded or suffering from headaches, it could be a sign that your body needs more water. When the body's hydration levels drop, there is less liquid in the brain, which is what creates the headache.
- Poor concentration - When you have lack of hydration it can also lead to difficulty in focusing on tasks, forgetting things easily, and having trouble with communication.
- Dry mouth and bad breath - When you have bad breath and a dry mouth, it's a sign that your body needs more water. Your mouth will create less saliva when you don't have enough water, which contains antibacterial properties. In turn, this creates bacteria, which is why you get bad breath.
- Food cravings- If you have a sudden craving, drink a glass of water before you eat it. If you are thirsty, your body can send you false signals that could be interpreted that you are hungry instead of thirsty.
- Reduced urination - If you aren't making regular trips to the bathroom or if your urine is too yellow, then that is a sign you are dehydrated. It is normal to urinate 4-7 times a day when you are properly hydrated. Reduced urination can be dangerous because it means the body's not flushing toxins from the body.
- Lethargic and fatigued - If you are feeling exhausted, a glass of water could really help re-energize the body. The absence of water creates a lack of oxygen supply to the body, which is what creates the lethargic feeling.
- Muscles and joint pain - Water is essential to keep the joints and ligaments working properly because they are mostly water. When your body doesn't have enough water to support your joints, the bones pound against each other, which creates the pain.
- Dry skin and lips - Overall dry skin is another sign you are dehydrated. Keeping your body hydrated means keeping your skin hydrated as well. Your skin is the body's biggest organ, so pay attention to what signals it is giving you.
The next time you see one of these symptoms or aren't feeling that great, try to drink a few glasses of water to see if that helps before trying anything else. Most of the time our body is missing one of its essential components like water.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Dawsonville, Ga.