Be Proactive and Avoid Getting Sick This Holiday
By Randi Morse
One of the most frustrating things you can deal with during the holiday season is getting ill. When you get ill, everything seems much more difficult. You've got tons of things to do to get ready for family and friends coming over, and to get the holidays ready for your own small family, but you don't have the energy do to any of it thanks to the virus you've caught. If you are proactive you can prevent yourself from having any viruses this holiday season!
- Wash your hands - Make sure you wash your hands often! During cold and flu season you should wash your hands often, and make sure that you wash using soap and clean, running water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
- Stay dry - It's important to stay warm during the holiday season, but staying dry is even more vital. If you get wet and are in a cold area, your body has to work even harder to warm up that section of your body. By staying warm and dry you're giving your body the chance to fend off any germs before they become a big deal.
- Watch the stress - High stress levels can wreak havoc on your body, and the holidays tend to be the most stressful time of year there is. Make sure you manage your stress as well as you possibly can, as this will help you to stay healthier.
- Food safety - The holiday season involves amazingly delicious foods, but they aren't so delicious if you wind up getting food poisoning. Make sure you practice food safety by washing your hands, and any cooking surfaces you're using, often. You can avoid cross-contamination fairly easy, just make sure that you wash your hands and any cooking utensils any time you switch from a cooked product to a raw one (especially meat), and make sure that all of your foods are cooked to the proper temperature.
- Stay active - It can be difficult to find time to exercise during the holiday season, but staying active is a good way to help fight off any illness before it has its time to get its claws in you. Take 30 minutes a day to yourself and do something active, like walking.
This holiday season, don't let the cold or flu get you down. If you are proactive with your health and make sure that you take as many precautions against getting sick as you can, you'll be able to enjoy the holiday season that much more.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hiram, Ga.