Using Every Last Bit of Your Citrus!
By Donna Stark
If you are noticing that you and your family are eating an absurd amount of citrus right now to boost your immune systems, you aren't alone! Many people are in the exact same boat as you are because they know that by increasing the daily consumption of citrus fruits is an easy and effective way to increase the amount of Vitamin C in their diet. But along with that vitamin increase comes an increase in the number of citrus peels filling the trash can, and to some, that seems like such a waste. Fortunately, you can put your peels to better use!
Using Your Citrus Peels Wisely
Whether you are looking to enhance your cooking, cleaning, or pampering, there are tons of ways to incorporate citrus peels into your routines. Take a look at some really easy ideas below.
- Trash can - Those peels are already in your trash bag, so why not use them to your advantage? Citrus peels can eradicate many of those funky scents you would like to hide so skip the trash bag and toss a few straight into the bottom of the can.
- Natural cleaner - Want to start avoiding the use of cleaners that are filled with a variety of chemicals you can't even pronounce? Try soaking your peels in vinegar for several days and then mix with equal parts water in your spray bottle. It's a great way to make your very own all-natural cleaner!
- Seasonings - If you like lemon-pepper seasoning, you will love this idea! Grind your dried lemon peels into a coarse powder and mix with your favorite salt and pepper. Or do the same with those other peels you have and experiment with flavors! Ground orange peels with sugar for your iced teas sounds amazing, doesn't it?
- Air Freshener - Pull out a small pot, add some water, and toss in your favorite peels for an exciting new way to freshen the air in your home. Just don't forget to check on it as it is simmering on your stove. Keep an eye on it!
- Relaxing baths - Toss some peels into your next bath for a new twist on self-pampering. The warm water and the essential oils found in your peels can improve your mood and help your body relax.
- Sweet addition - From a beautiful garnish on your cup of tea or cocktail to an extra bite of candied yumminess in your scones or muffins, citrus peels can make your entire world just a little bit sweeter!
Loving Your Citrus Through and Through
There is nothing better than the taste and scent of fresh citrus, don't you agree? So, go ahead and grab as much as you like, but use every last bit of your citrus to get the most benefits out of them as you can!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Loganville, Ga.