Rice Cakes Don't Have to Be Boring!
By Donna Stark
You can find them on the shelf at your local grocery store. They are known to be good for you, but you haven't really heard great things about their taste. Some people say they are bland, some people say they are dry, and some people have gone so far as to equate them with cardboard. Yet still, you are intrigued and want to give them a try. I applaud you for that, and thought I could help you with some suggestions on how to "dress up" those plain rice cakes so that you can become a fan like everyone else.
The New Way to Snack
They're light, they're airy, they're a cross between toast and a cracker and they're the perfect foundation for an amazing breakfast, lunch, or snack. The versatility that comes with them is an aspiring cook's dream and the ease of serving them is what every parent asks for. So, whether you are that cook or parent, take a look at the following suggestions on how to top these wonderful, little treats.
- Avocado - You can never go wrong with avocado, especially when you pair it with sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
- Salmon - Forget the bagels! Spread some cream cheese on top of your rice cake and top with some delicious smoked salmon. For some extra flair, you can even add sliced radish and a pinch of chives too.
- Greek yogurt - It's time to go Greek! Grab some creamy Greek yogurt, slather it on top of the rice cake like there is no tomorrow, and top with fresh fruit, shelled pistachios, and a drizzle of honey for a delectable snack.
- Nut butter - Choose your favorite nut butter for this one, and top with bananas, raspberries, and chocolate chips or chocolate shavings. Make an even healthier version by choosing dark chocolate over milk.
- Cucumbers - Remember those tiny finger sandwiches your mom or grandmother made when they had their friends over for tea? Well, you can recreate them here. Cucumbers and cream cheese on top of your rice cake will take you back to your childhood in seconds.
Rice Cakes Are Not Boring!
Don't let rice cakes fool you either! They aren't as fragile as they appear and they can withstand all of your favorite spreads and toppings. So go ahead and stock your pantry. Fill your kitchen with fresh fruit and vegetables. It's time to start creating!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Pooler, Ga.