Is This Your Exit? Take the Joint with You
By Sandy Schroeder
If you are traveling this spring, whether on the road or in the air, staying healthy counts. For work trips, or outings with family, the chiropractic advantage may be a smart option to have.
Nationwide, there are more than 400 clinics in The Joint Chiropractic network available to help you and your family. Wherever you are headed, The Joint’s doctors of chiropractic can lend a hand to check out any injuries or new issues, provide good safety tips, and maintain ongoing chiropractic treatments.
If this is your first chiropractic visit, or a regular one, keeping your spine healthy and limber while you travel may help reduce fatigue and avoid injury.
When You Are Out There
Extensive sitting in the air or on the road can create dangers such as restricted blood flow and buildup of pressure in the blood vessels in the lower legs, according to the American Chiropractic Association. Tightening and relaxing leg muscles helps blood flow normally. Heel and toe foot lifts help, too. ACA suggests warming up before trips, and cooling down upon arrival with quick walks or simple stretches.
In the Air
- Check all bags that are 5 to 10 percent of body weight
- When lifting bags into overhead compartments keep the body straight. Never twist the spine, head or neck
- Protect the natural spinal curve with a pillow behind the back, and one between neck and headrest
- Change sitting positions to avoid leg cramps, and increase circulation
On the Road
- Sit close to the wheel with knees a little higher than hips
- Keep eyes on the road, both hands on the wheel
- Never text, and keep electronics use to a minimum
- Stop frequently for rest and stretch breaks
- Sit up straight, maintain good back support and flex leg muscles
How The Joint Chiropractic Helps
The Joint makes everything easier, considering these advantages of membership -- or non-membership.
- Weekend and evening hours are available
- Walk-in visits are welcome
- No appointments are needed.
- Affordable personal healthcare plans eliminate insurance hassle
I have watched many individuals and families use the chiropractic advantage at home and on the road. Knowing they could count on their chiropractors to smoothe out the bumps made a difference. In many instances, chiropractic care began with a single problem, an injury on the road, or a new back or neck pain. From there, their chiropractors monitored progress and continued to show up with the best safety and prevention tips.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Chicago, Ill.