Pros and Cons of a Glass of Red Wine Per Day
By Alexis Mills
While drinking a glass of red wine is an enjoyable, traditional drink, it has also been used as a form of medication for thousands of years. It sounds too good to be true that alcohol of any kind can be used to help people's health, which it is! Drinking red wine in moderation is nothing to be concerned about, but there are definitely pros and cons to drinking red wine regularly.
Pros of Red Wine for Your Health
Red wine is one of the healthiest alcohols that you can consume. Here are some of the benefits.
- Reduce risk of heart disease - While heart disease is one of the biggest killers in the US, drinking red wine can help reduce this risk. But if you consume too much it can actually increase your risk for heart issues, so enjoy it in moderation.
- Reduce signs of aging - A chemical compound found in red wine with the mass amounts of antioxidants is able to slow the aging process. Drinking a glass or two of wine can keep you looking youthful with radiant skin.
- Longer lifespan - It's been studied that moderate red wine drinkers are able to extend their lifespan because of its ability to protect the tissues of the body.
- Improve brain function - While drinking excessive amounts of red wine will definitely not help your mental processes, if you drink it in moderation, you are less likely to have symptoms of mental illnesses.
- Natural sunscreen - A chemical found in red wine acts as a skin protectant. But this does not mean that if you have a glass or two of wine that you don't need to wear sunscreen while lying in the sun. It's easy to get sun damage even when it isn't sunny out.
Cons of Red Wine for Your Health
While red wine has the reputation of being the healthy alcohol, the truth is that there are still major cons to drinking red wine to your health.
- Ruins your sleep - Alcohol in general disrupts your REM sleep and can leave you feeling exhausted.
- Derails your diet - Since red wine is filled with calories and alcohol changes the way that your metabolism works, you can see inches added to your waist if you are regularly drinking red wine -- or any alcohol for that matter.
- Stresses you out - Even though that glass of wine might seem relaxing, it actually increases cortisol and can create an overabundance of bad thoughts.
- Increases cancer risk - Especially if you are drinking excessively, you will be at a higher risk for breast and lung cancer specifically.
- Enhances existing conditions - If you already struggle with a condition, drinking alcohol regularly has the power to make it worse, whether it be migraines or depression.
Although drinking red wine has a mixture of both pros and cons for your health, it's apparent we shouldn't be drinking it solely for the health benefits. There is no reason to feel guilty about having a glass of red wine with dinner; if you do drink it heavily, you will start to see negative effects. Everything in moderation is key!
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Rockford, Ill.