The Easiest Exercise With a Ton of Benefits
By Donna Stark
Are you looking for a new workout that is safe, can be done anywhere, and doesn't require any special skills or equipment? Well, look no further than your own two feet! Walking is the perfect exercise for those who are new to fitness, who are coming back from an injury, who are dealing with joint pain, and who are conscious of their health. Basically, walking is for everyone, no matter what their age! But the best part about this type of workout is the number of health benefits that will be heading your way once you start!
Walking Toward Better Health
You can walk early in the morning, during lunch, or after dinner. You can take your dog for a walk or push your baby in the stroller. You can walk at the mall, along the beach, or around your town. It doesn't matter where or when, just get out and do it! Your body will thank you for it. Take a look at just a few of the health benefits that walking can bring into your life.
- Helps to maintain healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels
- Decreases inflammation and joint pain
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
- Minimizes stress and anxiety
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves bone health
- Increases mobility
- Encourages quality sleep
Taking That First Step
Since you only need 30 minutes a day to score these health benefits, you shouldn't have any problem fitting a walk into your daily schedule, right? So, are you ready to get started? Here are some easy tips to follow.
- Invest in a comfortable pair of shoes that provide plenty of support and traction
- Choose weather-appropriate clothing
- If new to fitness, start slowly and build your speed and distance up little by little
- Add some variety by switching your route or by inviting your friends
- When walking at night, be sure to wear reflective clothing
- Tell others where you will be walking if you are heading out alone
- Wear ankle weights for an added challenge
- Always carry some water with you
The Easiest Exercise
You may not remember the excitement you felt as a toddler when you learned to walk on your own, but you will surely notice that feeling now. And actually, with an exercise that's simple, natural, inexpensive, and so very beneficial to your overall health and wellness, it would be pretty hard to not get excited. So go ahead and lace up your shoes! It's time to take that first step.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Woodbury, Minn.