Smart Ways to Prevent Injuries When You Exercise
By Sandy Schroeder
If you are exercising more as summer approaches, it’s important to avoid injuries. Dr. Eric Berkson, orthopedic surgery instructor at Harvard Medical School, cites the most common exercise injuries.
Muscle strains - Injuries to muscles or tendons which connect bones and muscles
Tendinitis - Tendon inflammation which often comes from overuse
Sprains - Ligament injuries which are tissues that connect one bone to another
ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and meniscus tears of the knee - A rip in ligaments that stabilize the knee or cartilage that cushions the knee joint
Rotator cuff tears - Rips in the muscles and tendons that hold the arm in the shoulder socket.
To avoid these injuries, Dr. Berkson suggests:
- Talk to your doctor first to customize a routine
- Work with a trainer to learn correct techniques
- Get the right clothes, sneakers and other gear
- Alternate routines to exercise different areas
- Stay hydrated and start slowly
- Never push past pain
- Warm up and cool down
How Your Chiropractor Can Help
Stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you to get ongoing support for your fitness efforts. The Joint’s licensed chiropractors can help with any injuries that come up, and ongoing exercise goals.
Find out how improving spinal health may improve your overall health and fitness. The spine encases the central nervous system that controls everything that we do. When that brain-to-body communication works, we do too. A gentle targeted spinal adjustment may provide far-reaching pain relief and an overall sense of wellness with better sleep, more energy and more alertness.
Weekly 15-minute spinal adjustments may help maintain wellness and provide a fitness base for new exercise opportunities that keep you moving.
- Consider adding 15-minute exercise spots during the work day
- Find ways to move every hour that you sit at work
- Move more of your exercise outdoors
- Change the pace with pickup volleyball or basketball, freeform dance sessions, or barre (ballet) classes
- Make walking and biking first choices ahead of driving
Stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you to find out more about the affordable healthcare plans and packages that require no insurance. More than 400 clinics nationwide are available six or seven days per week with walk-in visits welcome. No appointments needed.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Las Vegas, Nev.