Kick That Soda Habit With These Alternatives
By Donna Stark
How many sodas have you had this week? One? Three? A couple a day? Or have you been choosing to drink water instead of hitting the soda machine during the day? We have all heard the warnings about how much damage heavy soda consumption can cause in our bodies, and if you are choosing more water than that sweet carbonated drink, give yourself a pat on the back! But if you are struggling with those soda cravings and are not enticed by water, let me offer you some healthy, alternative suggestions.
Choose These in Place of Soda
I, for one, still love a crisp, cold soda every now and then like everybody else, but I know that if I have more than one a week, the cravings will start. And then I find the excuses at the grocery store that offer me plenty of "permission" to buy more. What I have found in my life though, is that if I have other, delicious options to choose from, those cravings seem to stay away. Here are the ones I usually go to.
- Green tea - In addition to replacing that sugar-filled can of soda, green tea can also help reduce the risk of certain health conditions such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity. It is loaded with amazing antioxidants and can be served hot or iced.
- Infused water - You may not enjoy drinking water, but if you infuse it with your favorite fruit, vegetables, or even some mint leaves, you can create a delicious alternative with different flavors every day!
- Almond milk - This dairy-free beverage comes in several flavors and is fortified with calcium and Vitamin D, so in addition to tasting great, it's also great for your bones!
- Juices - Juices from the store can be very high in sugar, so why don't you invest in a juicer and make your own? Get creative and add some extra nutrients to your diet by whipping up some concoctions that include your favorite fruit and vegetable blends.
- Coffee - If you skip those fancy coffees that are more dessert than a drink, and keep your cup of joe clean and simple, coffee is a great replacement for soda! In fact, the consumption of it has also been linked to many different health benefits.
- Coconut water - Coconut water has come to be known as the ultimate thirst quencher, but this low-calorie, nutrient-rich beverage has more health benefits than just that. It can help maintain weight, reduce blood pressure, and clear your skin.
Cut the Soda, Improve Your Health
Cutting back on a bad habit can be a difficult task for many, but if the bad habit is replaced with one that is healthy and enticing, that task may end up being easier than first thought. So if you have an unhealthy relationship with sugar and would like to take a step away from all of those sodas, try some healthier alternatives. Who knows? You may even like them better!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Knightdale, N.C.