Family-Friendly Fall Workouts
By Donna Stark
The temperatures have cooled down and the time has come to kiss those triple-digit days goodbye once and for all! Finally, we can head outdoors with our families for some fun activities ... but don't limit yourselves to pumpkin patches and Friday night football games only. Fall is also a perfect time to move your workouts outside, so lace up your shoes, grab your family, and get moving!
Better Than a Gym
Gyms are great when it comes to all the machines, classes, and amenities, but there is nothing like a workout that takes place on the other side of those brick walls. Take a look at how an outdoor fitness routine can boost your workouts and maximize your results.
- Work out longer - Generally, people will look forward to their workout more and exercise longer when they head outdoors. And when the temperature is perfect? Well, you can't beat the energy rush everyone will get from that, can you?
- Try new challenges - From different terrains to uphill battles to extreme weather, taking your fitness routine outdoors will challenge you in ways that a gym never could! And don't be afraid to try new things with your family. You know you've got this!
- Reduce your stress - Exercise and nature have both been shown to reduce the levels of stress hormones in the body, so what do you think would happen when you combine the two? Heading outdoors to exercise is the ultimate way to reduce stress, improve moods, and increase energy.
One of the best things about exercising outdoors is that there is something to interest everyone. And for mom and dad, it's nice to know that it won't cost an arm and a leg for the whole family to be included! Take a look at the following family-friendly workouts that are perfect for the fall season.
- Hiking - Work on your cardio while also enjoying the beauty of the season by taking the family for a weekend hike. Just be sure the trail you select is appropriate for everyone coming along and bring plenty of water!
- Cycling - Pull out the bikes from the garage and hit the road! Cycling is a great family activity that will get everyone motivated to move.
- Sports - If you love a healthy dose of friendly competition, grab your family, neighbors, and friends and start a pick-up game of everyone's favorite sport. It's a great way to get everyone exercising, even if they don't realize it!
Enjoying Your Workouts More
Fall is filled with one change after another, so why not change your fitness routine too? Head outdoors with your loved ones and get your sweat on. But be quick! Winter is coming and will be here before you know it!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Morrisville, N.C